Tuesday, August 28, 2007

VCU Session 4

The fog is thick in the morning sky and i am, in a slightly hasty manner, hunting with coffee in hand for a spot to park the monster of a ride, which has somehow taken me from my normal locomotion; the bicycle. (notably in the back seat) Minutes ago as i found my fated spot for the behemoth, i was instantly confronted by a woman in her nightgown. "How long are you going to park there?" she asks me with a morning like gruff tone. Ouch, i can see it coming. This vivid image of an aged woman caring for her place will be with me all day. She quickly explains, this is my house; when can i, my family, my handicapped father park here? i check the clock, 2 minutes, once again my impeccable timing has left me with no option other than to respond, " i am sorry, and i am; tired of driving, tired of not being able to walk this city and just as on edge about the state of living and the places we live. Our cities should respect the needs of its residential citizens, i think to myself. We should value those who have been here for ages before and who have every right to utilize the much tested "grandfather clause" (although slightly skewed in this example)...

There is only one thing that this could really mean. My brain is working, and ultimately VCU has got me again. A fourth session that will bring my education here most likely to a close. On to new places and new people but charged and fully present here and now. It is as if in this moment i can see the all of the sky and among the billion year old stars, just in front of me and taking up a mass within my field of vision, stands the moon; VCU, pulling at the ocean in my belly once again. The speed of light, what an mazing thing, it is that which allows for me to see millions of years into the past, presented for me in the vision of a moment as i ponder the realtionship between space and light, me and the atmosphere...

Perhaps this session, i will take those new steps towards my nearest star. For in this moment i see all the more clearly.

No comments: